We Will Not Be Erased! Support Trans Storytellers!
Author: Edit Team
October 23, 2018
This week, The New York Times reported that the Trump administration is considering “rolling back recognition and protections of transgender people under federal civil rights law.”
This harrowing news is just another stark reminder of the importance of supporting trans writers and storytellers. In the writing, telling, and sharing of our stories, there is affirmation, validation, and inspiration. Our narratives signal to the wider public that our lives matter and that our genuine selves should be part of the cultural conversation.
Our stories are a weapon against erasure. They offer road maps to living and surviving. They are essential reflections of our expansive humanity.
Below are links from recent Lambda Literary Review articles spotlighting trans storytellers. Support these authors and support these books.
- H. Melt on imagining trans liberation
- Kokumo on the determination to survive
- Kay Ulanday Barrett on poetry as testimony
- Joy Ladin on trans poetics
- Cameron Awkward Rich on engaging with trans literary tropes
- Amy Heart on editing The Resilience Anthology
- Against Me!’s Laura Jane Grace on crafting her punk rock memoir
- A review of We’re Still Here: An All-Trans Comics Anthology
- A review of Nia King and Elena Rose’s Queer Trans Artists of Color Volume 2
- A review of the Jennifer Finney Boylan’s Long Black Veil
- A review of Jordy Rosenberg’s Confessions of the Fox
- A review of Ely Shipley’s Some Animal
- A review of April Daniel’s Sovereign
- A review of iO Tillett Wright’s Darling Days
- A review of Renee James’ A Kind of Justice
- A review of Kay Gabriel’s Elegy Department Spring
- A review of jia qing wilson’s Small Beauty
- An excerpt from Meanwhile, Elsewhere: Science Fiction and Fantasy from Transgender Writers
- A week in the life of writer Thomas Page McBee
- A week in the life of writer Andrea Lawlor
- A poem by Joshua Jennifer Espinoza
- TC Tolbert and Trace Peterson in conversation
- In conversation with Topside Press