We’re Hiring: Director of Development & Engagement
Author: Samiya Bashir
December 22, 2022
Lambda Literary, the nation’s leading LGBTQ+* literary organization, seeks an organized, detail-oriented, and highly collaborative Director of Development & Engagement. The ideal candidate will possess an excitement about LGBTQ+ literature and a dynamic approach to leadership for a growing nonprofit organization as well as a proven track record in non-profit fundraising. This position is remote with potential to work in our NYC-based office on occasion. All candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Who We Are
For over 30 years, Lambda Literary has championed LGBTQ+ books and authors. No other organization in the world serves LGBTQ+ writers and readers more comprehensively than Lambda Literary. We believe that LGBTQ+ literature is fundamental to the preservation of our culture and that LGBTQ+ lives are affirmed when our stories are written, published, and read.
*Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning, and all emerging identities
What You’ll Do
Lambda Literary is hiring the organization’s first Director of Development and Engagement to work in partnership with the Executive Director and Grant Manager. The organization seeks a dynamic, visionary development professional with experience in project management and fundraising. The Director of Development and Engagement is responsible for implementing a year-round fundraising plan including individual giving, corporate sponsorship and supporting the annual special event, the Lammy Awards. The Director of Development and Engagement will work closely with the organization’s Grant Manager and will play a key role in strategic communications while working with the Executive Director to build out a successful Department of Development & Engagement.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop a multi-year actionable fundraising plan to increase revenue by $600,000 to grow the organization’s budget to $1.5 million by the end of 2023. Areas of focus for financial expansion include individual, corporate giving, and special events.
- Work with key staff to conduct strategic communications to elevate Lambda Literary’s thought leadership, programs, impact to engage diverse audiences.
- Work closely with ED, Special Events Consultant, Board and key staff on the production and fundraising efforts to execute the Lammy Awards
- Work to identify foundation funding opportunities, cultivate relationships with program officers, and help lead messaging for donors, and funders.
- Manage the Grants Writer Consultant and assist with back-end management and development of annual fundraising plan, to include prospect research, donor cultivation, grant preparation, and communications.
- Conceptualize and implement a corporate giving program that offers volunteer opportunities, in-kind support, corporate foundation grants, and corporate sponsorships of the Lammy Awards and other events and partnership opportunities.
- Provide support to ED and board to make funding asks
- Ensure the maintenance of organization’s development database and donor/prospect list as well as donor communication, and acknowledgement thank you letters.
- Develop communications calendar and protocols for content dissemination across multiple platforms, including website, social media platforms, email and public education and marketing materials.
- Cultivate a culture of philanthropy across the organization providing opportunities for full and part-time staff to better understand the relationship between fundraising and programs and how they can best engage.
- Minimum of 5 years of development experience (fundraising, communications, and leadership roles.)
- Ability to work collaboratively as well as build and maintain professional relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills – ability to communicate mission to funders, individual donors, and other stakeholders.
- Project management skills – stays on top of multiple projects, identifies deadlines and meets through careful planning, anticipates obstacles, identifies and involves staff appropriately
- Highly organized, motivated, and detail-oriented with a strong sense of ownership over goals.
- Able to juggle competing demands and prioritize accordingly
- Maintains a high bar even when things are hectic. Manages a high volume of work with efficiency.
This position reports to Lambda Literary’s Executive Director and currently has no direct reports.
Annual Salary range is $90K to $110K based on salary history and experience. This position includes a competitive benefits package that includes healthcare insurance and paid vacation.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and brief biographical statement, as well as 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Applications will be accepted through January 30, 2023
Interviews will begin January 15, 2023
Lambda Literary is an equal opportunity employer. We value having staff who come from communities that are most impacted by our work. People of color, LGBQ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.