We’re Hiring: Individual Giving Manager
Author: Cleopatra Jach
June 22, 2022
Lambda Literary, the nation’s leading LGBTQ literary organization, seeks a creative, detail-oriented, and highly collaborative Individual Giving Manager to cultivate, sustain, and grow our donor base.
Throughout our 35-year history, Lambda Literary has maintained a committed group of supporters who help fuel our narrative-shifting work to uplift LGBTQ voices and stories. The Individual Giving Manager is a key piece of our 3-year strategic plan and will support Lambda Literary’s long-term growth and sustainability.
We are seeking a dynamic and inventive individual who enjoys building relationships with our donors and is committed to crafting imaginative fundraising strategies that reflect the diversity and creativity of our community. The Individual Giving Manager will enjoy creating bridges between our programs and the wider Lambda Literary community and will thrive as part of a small, mission-driven staff.
Who We Are
For over 30 years, Lambda Literary has championed LGBTQ books and authors. No other organization in the world serves LGBTQ writers and readers more comprehensively than Lambda Literary. We believe that lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer literature is fundamental to the preservation of our culture, and that LGBTQ lives are affirmed when our stories are written, published, and read.
What You’ll Do
The Individual Giving Manager is responsible for a year-round cycle of fundraising activities, including bi-annual appeals, donor stewardship, cultivating prospects, and sharing regular updates. This is a full-time opportunity based in New York City in a remote office environment.
- Manage a diverse fundraising plan that includes:
- Bi-annual fundraising campaign appeals to our donor base
- Creating a monthly sustainer program
- Fundraising events
- Social media and online giving
- Contribute to Lambda Literary’s development administrative work by:
- Acknowledging and thanking donors
- Gift data entry, gift coding, and database wizardry
- Monthly donation and accounting reconciliation
- Field requests from donors
- Create fundraising content for social media and our website
Who You Are
- A relationship builder
- Passionate about LGBTQ books and supporting our community’s stories
- Excited about data
- Possesses an understanding of the diversity of the LGBTQ community and how to engage a wider variety of stakeholders
- Committed to
- A project manager who possesses superb organizational and process management skills
If You Were Here Right Now, You Would Be
- Working with staff to brainstorm themes for our summer fundraising appeals
- Following up with existing donors and connecting with new and potential ones
- Supporting sponsorship outreach for our annual Lammy awards
- Sharing fundraising tools with our very engaged Board of Directors
- A minimal of at least 3 years experience and demonstrable track record in fundraising, particularly from individual donors
- Demonstrated experience with conceptualizing and executing creative and culturally-intentional fundraising strategies
- Superb organizational and process management skills
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and successfully motivate a wide variety of individuals
- Excellent interpersonal skills and easily approachable to colleagues and community stakeholders
- Ability to handle proprietary or sensitive information with discretion
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy in work
- Strong, demonstrated understanding of social media
- Strong computer skills, with the proven ability to use Microsoft Office/Google Suite, Excel, and databases. Experience editing content in WordPress or similar content management system preferred. Familiarity with DonorPerfect and/or Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) a plus.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, short writing sample (no more than 3 pages please), and 2-3 references to email@example.com. No calls please. Applications accepted until July 15, 2022, with an anticipated start date of August 15, 2022.
Annual Salary: $58,500.00 plus a benefits package that includes healthcare insurance and paid vacation
Directly Supervised by Co-Executive Director
Lambda Literary is an equal opportunity employer. We value having staff who come from communities that are most impacted by our work. People of color, LGBQ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.