We’re Hiring: Program Manager
Author: Wo Chan
December 17, 2021
Lambda Literary, the nation’s leading LGBTQ literary organization, seeks a creative, detail-oriented, and highly collaborative Programs Manager to envision and steward its program offerings for LGBTQ writers, including its Writers Retreat for Emerging LGBTQ Voices.
Since 2007, Lambda’s annual retreat has offered up-and-coming queer writers a life-changing opportunity. The only residency of its kind, the Retreat draws 60 LGBTQ writers together for a week of workshops in five genres led by established LGBTQ faculty. In addition to writing improvement, camaraderie, and affirmation, fellows leave the retreat with achievements the publishing world agrees are markers for success beyond hard work: being chosen for a prominent fellowship; CV listing of a public reading; and an expanded professional network.
Who We Are
For over 30 years, Lambda Literary has championed LGBTQ books and authors. No other organization in the world serves LGBTQ writers and readers more comprehensively than Lambda Literary. We believe that lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer literature is fundamental to the preservation of our culture, and that LGBTQ lives are affirmed when our stories are written, published, and read.
What You’ll Do
The Program Manager is responsible for a year-round cycle of activities, primarily focused on the Retreat, but with the opportunity to extend, adapt, and envision new program offerings for LGBTQ writers. This is a full-time opportunity based in New York City in a remote office environment.
- Design and manage all logistics for the workshop, including coordination with vendors, future in-person venues*, and contractors
- Manage all aspects of the applications process, including publicizing calls for submission through digital channels, ensuring robust volume of submissions across all cohorts
- Produce program marketing and communications, including web content, e-newsletters, social media content, and press releases
- Oversee financial and administrative work related to the retreat’s success, which includes tuition fees management and collaborating on fundraising efforts
- Recruit and train Writer’s Retreat faculty (individuals who will directly work with retreat attendees through workshops, coaching, and intensive feedback processes)
*In the first year of this role, the Program Manager will be responsible for designing and hosting the Retreat in a virtual environment due to COVID-19 Precautions.
Who You Are
- A relationship builder
- A developer of leaders
- Passionate for LGBTQ books and knowledgeable about the literary world and/or the publishing industry
- A project manager who possesses superb organizational and process management skills
If You Were Here Right Now, You Would Be
- Promoting and reviewing applications for the Writer’s Retreat for Emerging LGBTQ Voices
- Replying to Writer’s Retreat inquiries from applicants, teachers, and vendors
- Working on virtual facilitation, presentation skills, and building a powerful connected online space
- Coordinating skillshare events that compliment the Retreat’s mission year-round
- A minimum of 3–5 years of fast-paced and detail-oriented program management experience involving a large volume of information
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and successfully motivate a wide variety of individuals
- Excellent interpersonal skills and chooses each day to practice rich communication skills with colleagues and community stakeholders
- Ability to handle proprietary or sensitive information with discretion
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy in work
- Strong, demonstrated understanding of social media
- Strong computer skills, with the proven ability to use Microsoft Office/Google Suite, Excel, and databases. Experience editing content in WordPress or similar content management system preferred. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc) a plus
- Strong peer-counseling, conflict-management, and crisis management skills
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please. Applications accepted from December 15, 2021 to January 15, 2022.
This position has an annual salary of $58,500.00 plus a benefits package that includes health and dental insurance and paid vacation. Directly supervised by Interim Co-Executive Director.
Lambda Literary is an equal opportunity employer. We value having staff who come from communities that are most impacted by our work. People of color, LGBQ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.