Call for Submissions: Middleground Magazine
Author: Edit Team
March 21, 2020
Middleground is a literary and art magazine for mixed race people and their identities, stories and voices. While we don’t focus solely on the stories of the LGBTQIA+ community, we are queer-owned and really keen to diversify our pool of contributors. We are currently looking for art and writing submissions for our second issue, which will be published in the summer.
Who can submit work?
Middleground focuses on the voices of mixed race people. If you identify as such, and have a desire to tell or explore your racial identity and its meanings, ambivalences, and beauty, we’d love to hear from you.
What are we looking for?
Exploration of one’s identity is a diverse and fluid journey, and Middleground wants to honour that. We accept:
– Non-fiction up to 2,500 words
– Fiction up to 2,500 words
– Up to three poems per submission
– Illustrations, photography, digital artwork, etc.
Please read all of these carefully before sending through any of your work:
– The deadline is April 19th. We will not accept any submissions past that date.
– All contributors will be paid a small fee.
– Send your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org as a word document (.doc or .docx), along with a short bio.
– We only accept work by mixed race individuals. If you would like to include a note on your ethnic background, you are welcome to do so, though this isn’t a requirement.
– Please send your submission with a subject as follows: GENRE (poetry, fiction, or other) – YOUR NAME – Title of your piece
– We only accept one submission per person for fiction and non-fiction, up to three poems for poets and up to 4 pieces for artists.
– Please send us only finished pieces.
– While we accept simultaneous submissions, we ask that you inform us immediately if your piece has been accepted elsewhere.